Superfoods are just that – super foods! Although there are few dictionaries that define the word, the commonly understood definition of a superfood is a food that packs a big nutritional punch – a whole food that contains a high concentration of nutrients.
Superfoods work in synergy with your body systems, promoting normal cell function and preventing mutations at a cellular level, boosting your immune system and preventing chronic diseases. So yep, they’re pretty super!
What’s more, they support weight loss, help you keep the weight off, support your gut health and digestion, boost your immunity, balance potential nutritional deficiencies, and promote wellness! In order to reap all of their benefits, try to include them in your diet daily.
Here’s a list of my top 6 superfoods that regulate blood sugar levels, reduce sugar cravings and boost your energy. (I tried to limit myself to 5 Superfoods, but it was just too hard!)
My Top 6 Superfoods:
1. Oily Fish – Salmon, Tuna, Mackerel, Herring, Sardines
Oily fish are high in protein, vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids, including Omega 3. These fish:
- Support healthy hormones- aid fertility and pregnancy
- Aid with fat loss
- Promote wound healing and skin integrity
Aim for 3 servings of oily fish per week.
Did you know that garlic is one of nature’s natural antibiotics? It does the following:
- Boosts your immune system
- Reduces cold and flu symptoms
- Contains antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic properties
Aim for 1-2 garlic cloves per day.
3. Green, Leafy Veggies – Kale, Spinach, Collard, Mustard and Turnip Greens, Swiss Chard, Rocket, Broccoli
These contain potent anti-oxidants that reduce cell destruction and prevent disease, not to mention they offer great anti-ageing benefits! Furthermore they…
- Support liver health and detoxification processes
- Alkalise your body, helping to prevent disease
- Reduce inflammation and pain, especially in muscles and joints
Aim for one salad a day, and add green leafy vegetables to any stir-fry, soup, or smoothie.
Blueberries contain anthocyanins, a naturally occurring pigment that gives them their blue colour, which is a potent antioxidant. They’ll help to:
- Balance hormone levels
- Promote healthy skin
- Support weight loss and weight management
Aim to eat a handful a day – fresh or frozen.
5. Cacao Beans – Raw, Unprocessed Chocolate
Cacao beans contain the greatest wholefood source of magnesium, which:
- Supports concentration and memory by increasing blood flow to the brain
- Regulates blood sugar levels
- Supports normal muscle function, including your heart – after all your heart is one big muscle!
6. Spirulina – Blue Green Algae (dried and available in powdered or capsule form)
Spirulina offers the greatest source of protein on this planet, even more than any meat can offer. Protein is ideal for:
- Boosting energy and cellular health
- Regulating appetite
- Protecting your liver from damage caused by heavy metals
Superfood Blueberry Smoothie Recipe:
Let’s face it, in our busy, chaotic and often stressful lives it can be hard to consume the recommended intake of 5 veggies per day. There’s no easier or healthier way to kick off your day then blending up a bunch of veggies and enjoying a green (or in this case, a purple) smoothie.
- 250mls of coconut water or almond milk
- ½ frozen banana
- 1 handful of blueberries
- ½ avocado
- 3 kale stalks (use the leaves and discard the tough stalks) or choose a handful of baby spinach
Add whatever of these you have on hand:
- 1 teaspoon of Spirulina
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of goji berries
- 1-2 teaspoons of cacao nibs (for a chocolate twist)
- Blend all ingredients and blitz until smooth.
- Drink immediately (or store in the fridge for up to one hour)