This recipe can be as simple or complex as you like. I prefer it to be simple. It’s become a staple meal for me when I’m on the road or camping because it’s so easy to put together.
It might look like a monster of a sandwich, but it’s actually quite light.
- Ingredients for simple recipe:
- 2 large portabello mushroom caps
- 1/2 avocado (or more if you can fit it in)
- 1/4 of an onion sliced
- 1-2 slices of tomato
- 1-2 leaves of some kind of lettuce
- 1/2 lemon
- Optional: 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Optional: 1 teaspoon nama shoyu (unpasteurized soy sauce)
How to assemble:
- Cut the underside of the mushroom so that it’s as flat as possible.
- Scoop out half of the avocado and spread as best as possible on the underside of the mushroom.
- Squeeze lemon on avocado.
- Layer tomatoes, onions and lettuce on the avocado.
- Optional: If you decide to use the olive oil and nama shoyu, pour into the other mushroom cap.
- Place other mushroom cap on top and enjoy.