Hypothyroidism is diagnosed when a dysfunctional thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone for the body to function properly. Conventional medical doctors and naturopaths are discovering the lab tests for thyroid function are highly inaccurate and hypothyroidism is more prevalent than previously believed. Many health care providers now diagnose and treat hypothyroidism based on symptoms rather than lab tests.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
Symptoms of hypothyroidism include the following:
- Weight gain
- Decreased libido / erectile dysfunction
- Cold hands and feet
- Cold sensitivity
- Thinning, brittle hair (could result in significant hair loss)
- Loss of the outer third of eyebrows
- Muscle and connective tissue pain (may be severe)
- Cognitive problems (poor memory, poor concentration, fogginess)
- Dry rough skin
- Menstrual irregularities
Hypothyroidism can also contribute to cardiovascular problems, tinnitus, vertigo, depression, post partum depression, PMS, infertility, fibrocystic breast changes, polycystic ovary syndrome, and more.
One of the diagnostic tools used to diagnose or rule out hypothyroidism is taking the basal temperature upon waking, before rising, moving about, eating, drinking, or smoking. The temperature is taken in the armpit for 3-5 days and averaged. If the temperature is 970 F or lower, 3 days is sufficient. If the average temp is 97.4 (some say 97.8) this may be a strong indicator of hypothyroidism.
Another diagnostic tool is a quick look at the palms and the bottom of the feet. When hypothyroidism is present, palms and bottom of feet may be somewhat orange in color.
Hypothyroidism interferes with the body’s ability to digest and utilize beta carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the small intestine and elsewhere in the body.
Vitamin A (retinol) is an antioxidant that is vital for vision, the immune system, sperm production, and maintaining tissues including skin, the respiratory tract, the gastrointestinal tract, the genital and urinary systems, and more.
While there is a long list of illnesses or conditions that benefit from vitamin A, this vitamin can cause toxicity if taken too long, in too high a dosage, or if the liver is unable to metabolize it correctly.
It is best to consume yellow and orange vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots, squash etc. for beta-carotene and to heal the thyroid so it does not interfere with digestion and absorption of this vital nutrient.
The link between Candida, leaky gut syndrome, gluten sensitivity, and hypothyroidism is becoming clear. To learn more, read Gluten, Candida, Leaky Gut Syndrome, and Auto-Immune Diseases and Understand Hypothyroidism – Prevention And Natural Remedies.
- Thyro Complex – Progressive Labs
- Thyroid I – Wise Woman Herbals
- B-Complex #12 – Thorne Research
- Other supplements for thyroid health
- The Power of Our Hormones and How To Balance Them
- How to Kill Candida and Balance Your Inner Ecosystem
- Natural Remedies for Adrenal Fatigue
- Mercury Fillings, Root Canals, Cavitations – What You Need to Know
- Nutritional Medicine 1st Edition – Alan R. Gaby, M.D.
- Thyroid Disease Epidemic, How’s Yours Doing? – Organic Lifestyle Magazine