I don’t know yet at what age this ceases to be true, but from what I have seen, at least up until the 70s, it seems that if the body is getting enough nutrition, the teeth and the gums are capable of regenerating. I was incarcerated (for a crime I did not commit) for a year and a half. The diet was really bad compared to our standards, as you can imagine. I came out with visible holes in my teeth. In jail, I was the guy trading most of my food for the canned veggies and bleached salad mix. But still, my gums had receded, and my mouth looked ten years older. Here is specifically what I did to regenerate my teeth and gums:
I just add some coconut oil to some baking soda, a little water, a pinch of sea salt, and a little less of cinnamon. You don’t have to be exact, but we have oral care recipes here if you like. These days I just use Earthpaste and Doc’s Tooth & Gum.
Oil pulling is a traditional Ayurvedic method of oral care that involves swishing oil around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes. Some say that this practice can detoxify the whole body and heal all kinds of diseases, but these statements aren’t possible if the diet is not addressed. It does promote good oral health by reducing harmful bacteria and dental plaque while cleaning the areas of the mouth that brushing and flossing cannot get to. Oral health does increase the strength of the immune system, so oil pulling can lead to improved overall health.
Traditionally, sesame oil was used, but these days coconut oil is more often recommended, and it’s my preference as well. To increase the potency of this protocol, use essential oils, such as peppermint, cinnamon, or clove. Tea tree oil and oil of oregano are two good options, but they can get really intense. Start off with just a small amount.
Here are some suggestions with the essential oils for oil pulling. Add these to a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- For bad breath: 2 drops of cinnamon, spearmint, or peppermint essential oil
- Toothaches: 2 drops of clove or tea tree essential oil, or one of each
- Canker sores: 2 drops of holy basil essential oil.
- Gum disease: 2 drops of cinnamon, clove, or tea tree essential oil.
- Receding gums: Add 2 drops of Myrrh essential oil.
- Cavities: 2 drops of clove or tea tree essential oil, or one of each
- Any infection in the mouth: 2 drops of clove or tea tree essential oil, or one of each
How to Oil Pull
Swish the oil around in your mouth (like you would with mouthwash) and pull through the teeth, for 15 to 20 minutes. Don’t swish hard, or your cheeks will get sore very quickly.
The longer you do it, the more benefit you’ll get. 15 to 20 minutes is ideal, and I like to do it while I write articles, but even just doing it for a few minutes is very beneficial. You may need to take your time and build up your mouth strength. (I did.)
Spit it out! Do not swallow it. That oil gets nasty, and it’s better to dispose of it than swallow it. Follow with tooth brushing, or at least thoroughly rinsing the mouth. And don’t spit it out in the sink. The oil could stop it up.
I did it at least once a day, and the more you oil pull, the better.
Calcium & Magnesium
I eat lots of raw vegetables, but to speed things up, I wanted to make sure I had enough calcium. One should not take lots of calcium indefinitely without magnesium, and the nonfood sources don’t provide calcium that absorbs into our body well. Plus, I was coming out of jail, so I was too broke for supplements anyway, and that Tooth & Gum ain’t cheap!
Lemon Egg Recipe – the best organic calcium supplementation
- Carefully place whole, clean, uncooked, uncracked, organic eggs in a clean wide-mouth jar or glass container. How many eggs is up to you, but the lemon juice needs to cover the eggs.
- Cover the eggs with freshly squeezed organic lemon juice (concentrated lemon juice is pasteurized and should never be used as a substitute).
- Cover the jar loosely and place it in the refrigerator. A few times during the day, gently – very gently – agitate the liquid in the jar. As the Calcium from the shells is leached out by the lemon juice, bubbles will appear around the eggs.
- Approximately 44 to 48 hours later, when the bubbling has stopped, carefully remove the eggs from the jar, being sure not to break the egg membranes. Replace the lid tightly on the jar containing the liquid and shake the mixture. You now have “Lemon Egg”.
Drink it straight or mix 2oz in smoothies. It can also be used in recipes calling for lemon juice as well, but the juice will not be acidic and it will taste a bit different. If there is no more than twice as much lemon juice per egg volume I take a tablespoon to two of the lemon mixture and up to six if I don’t eat enough vegetables. Personally, I just took a spoonful every day and chewed it for a while. I don’t know if the teeth absorb any calcium that way, but I suspect it’s possible. I would do this after my brush and floss routine.
One whole medium sized eggshell yields about 750 – 800 mg of elemental calcium plus other microelements, including but not limited to magnesium, boron, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, sulfur, silicon, zinc, (27 elements in total). The composition of an eggshell is very similar to that of our bones and teeth.
Chewing on Garlic
I chewed on garlic three or more times a day for as long as I could stand it. The technique is as follows:
- Peel a small clove of garlic and put it in your mouth
- Start a timer
- Chew with your mouth open
- Breath through your mouth as you chew
- When it starts to hurt, close your mouth, and start swishing the juices through your gums
- Spit it out when it becomes intolerable
At first, I could only do this for about 15 seconds at a time, but I built up to a minute. This is a hugely beneficial technique for anyone with mercury amalgam fillings. Garlic will pull out (chelate) the least attached particles from the fillings before they were about to release.
Doc Shillington’s Tooth and Gum Formula
This is the most popular product sold at Green Lifestyle Market. I think this is in large part because you can so easily tell how well it works. I contend that with the right diet and oral care most people can regenerate their mouth without this formula, but it will speed up the process. If you’re not happy with you can get a refund.
For anyone who smoked, smokes, vapes, or works in conditions where they inhale carcinogens, I highly recommend the Tooth and Gum Formula.
For anyone who has toxic fillings in the mouth, or metal, or has otherwise had lots of oral work done, I also highly recommend the Tooth and Gum Formula.
I put some toothpaste on my brush, set that aside, then I squirt one squeeze of this tooth and gum stuff directly into my mouth, and then I brush. That’s how I do it. You can also just brush with the tooth and gum, or do oil pulling with it, or use it with water as a mouthwash, or use it without water as a mouthwash. It’s kind of hard to screw it up, but for maximum effect, do brush it into your gums, and do leave it in the mouth for at least a minute. You can buy it here or click here for the recipe ( the third one). I brushed and flossed twice a day with this routine, three times a day if I smoked marijuana that day.
Diet is key. Supplements can do some amazing things, but they simply prolong the inevitable when the diet isn’t first consideration. I ate large salads and lots of raw fruit every day. I occasionally do smoothies, and I generally have a wheat-free grain in a bowl with lots of cooked and fresh veggies and herbs on top. Check out the further reading below for more on my diet. If you really want to know how well this protocol works for you, I suggest pictures. Take pictures of your mouth daily or weekly, and you the judge. But chances are, you’ll feel it and know it’s working. It’s still fun to compare the picture though.
Lastly, your mouth won’t be much healthier than your gut. If you suffer from other health ailments, I suggest a gut protocol like this along with your new oral health regimen.
- Detox Cheap and Easy Without Fasting – Recipes Included
- How to Make the Healthiest Smoothies – 4 Recipes
- Total Nutrition – Make your own Homemade Multivitamin and Mineral Formula
- Mercury Fillings, Root Canals, Cavitations – What You Need to Know