Pesto is that dish. It’s simple, yet complex. It’s cheap, but healthy. And most of all, it’s your comforting friend on a quiet night that easily doubles as a crowd pleaser when unexpected guests turn up.
This is a “throw-together” pesto recipe that’s bursting with nutrients, including Spirulina; the most concentrated protein source on the planet. Spirulina adds a level of richness to the pesto and has numerous health benefits, keeping you fuller for longer, regulating energy levels, normalizing thyroid and adrenal gland function, and supporting healthy hormones.
Serve it drizzled over veggies or meat or simply stirred through cooked quinoa or pasta.
- 100 grams of basil (1/4 pound)
- 50 grams of baby spinach/rocket/kale (1/8 pound)
- 50 grams of raw pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely (or more for a little extra zing)
- 1 teaspoon of spirulina powder
- Put basil leaves, spinach/rocket/kale, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, nuts and salt in a blender and blitz until smooth
- Stir in spirulina
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge