Natural Skin Scrub Recipes for a Spa Day at Home
I am an herb lover, but I am also a spa lover.
When you put the two together, you have the start of a journey of delight.
It is all about relaxation in your own surroundings and using herbs from your garden to create a pleasurable, deeply beneficial experience. (Note to those of us who have been treated to a day spa: Creating the spa experience in your own home brings a special degree of relaxation because you don’t have to get in the car after your spa day and then drive home afterward. You simply relax, go to bed, meditate, or spend moments with renewed energy in your own space. What could be better than that?)
The Top-to-Bottom Scrub Experience
Exfoliate! Invigorate! Revive!
Body scrubs filled with herbs and abrasive materials gently massaged into the skin. These are a spa experience all their own. Blood circulates close to the skin, which pinks up with warmth as dead skin cells and impurities wash away. From the soles of the feet to the top of your head, spa treatments with texture help skin to feel renewed. Scrubs also help to flush toxins after healing from a cold or flu.
A full body scrub needs to take place in a shower or tub. Prepare your spa with fluffy towels, bright light, and upbeat music.
Step in the shower first to rinse and dampen skin. Turn off the water and place a towel on the floor. The oil in the scrub may drip and cause a slippery surface, so use caution. Apply scrub, starting along the neck and using gentle motions, work your way down the body. Be kind while working with a scrub – skin should be nice and pink, not red and irritated. After application, rinse mixture from skin and gently pat skin dry with a soft towel. Follow a scrub treatment with a nourishing lotion to polish off and pamper your skin.
Lavender Spa Salt Glow
- 1 cup coarse gray sea salt
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- 6 drops of lavender essential oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dried lavender buds
What To Do
Place all ingredients in a wide-mouth jar and mix well.
- Dampen skin.
- With a generous amount of salt/oil mix, massage onto the skin with gentle circular motion.
- Use caution around scratched or irritated areas of skin.
- Rinse off with warm water.
Floral Sugar Scrub
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 Vitamin E capsule
- ½ cup fresh rose petals
What To Do
- Mix sugar, coconut oil and rose petals in a wide-mouth glass jar.
- Pierce the Vitamin E capsule and squeeze into the mix.
Dampen skin. With a generous amount of floral scrub, massage onto the skin with gentle circular motion. Use caution around scratched or irritated areas of skin. Rinse off with warm water.
Après – Scrub Skin Oil
This is a light, simple oil that nourishes freshly scrubbed skin. Vanilla is a sensual fragrance that balances mood and relaxes.
- 1 cup jojoba oil
- 2 whole vanilla beans
What To Do
Start with a sterilized glass bottle.
- Slice vanilla beans lengthwise, scrape out the center mush, and place it in the bottle.
- Pour oil over the vanilla to cover completely.
- Place lid on the bottle and shake to mix well.
- Store in a cool, dark place for up to two months (shake every couple weeks).
- When vanilla aroma is intense, it is ready. Strain the oil through a mesh filter to remove bean remnants, and rebottle.
- If desired, add another whole vanilla bean to the finished bottle to add additional fragrance.