It wasn’t that long ago when we were told saturated fats were bad for us, that they clogged the arteries. Well, new studies have shown that was a myth; coconut oil is good for your health. Common sense should have told us this a long time ago. After all, societies that eat a lot of coconut are populated with some of the healthiest people on the planet.
Now that we are no longer afraid to include it in our diet, we have found we can eat the meat, drink the water, turn it into milk, and squeeze out the oil. Every part is a great source of nutrition. But that’s not the only benefit.
Coconut oil is also antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory. It has a world of uses. Here are a few:
Coconut Oil and Body Care
- Oil pulling. Swish a tablespoon or so of coconut oil through your mouth for 15-20 minutes the first thing in the morning. This is a great practice for oral health and many claim other health benefits as well (oral health recipes).
- Brush your teeth with it. Use it plain, add a few drops of essential oil (peppermint, cinnamon, tea tree, oregano), or make your own DIY toothpaste.
- Use as a carrier oil. Most of the essential oils are too strong to use full strength. They should be diluted with a carrier oil and coconut oil works very well for this purpose. Just add a few drops of the essential oil of your choice to a tablespoon of coconut oil and rub it on your skin (essential oils for infections).
- Use as a moisturizer. Plain coconut oil is great for the skin. It is said to lighten dark spots and help prevent stretch marks.
- Make-up remover. Removes all make-up, including eye make-up.
- Diaper cream. Use on baby’s butt!
- Hair conditioner. Rub it into dry hair and leave it in for a few hours (shampoo conspiracy).
- Use as a shave cream.
- Use as a deodorant (deodorant recipe).
Coconut Oil and Health Care
- Nail fungus. Add 5 drops of tea tree oil to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Rub into nails (kill fungal infections).
- Personal lubricant. Does not disrupt natural vaginal balance.
- Cracked heels. But remember this can be a sign of diabetes. Check your blood sugar and change your diet!
- Use after the burn cools off.
- Bug bites. Stops the itching and promotes healing.
- Chapped lips. Instant moisture. And it tastes good!
- Use on abrasions. Helps skin heal faster. (Also for perineum post birth).
- Stops the burning and itching.
- Prevents and may help reverse Alzheimer’s.
- Kills topical yeast infections.
- Kills lice.
- Soothes eczema and psoriasis.
- Helps to heal acne.
Pet Care With Coconut Oil
- Dry or cracked paws
- Dry noses.
- Hot spots.
- Cuts or abrasions.
- Helps prevent parasitic infections.
- Kills yeast and fungal infections.
- Glossy coat.
- Better digestion (dog food recipe).
Note: For dogs, one teaspoon per 10 lbs. of weight (or one tablespoon per 30 lbs.). Start with ¼ of the amount and work up to the full amount over a 3-4 week period. Mix it into food.
Household Uses for Coconut Oil
- Season cast iron pots and pans.
- Polish metals.
- Polish furniture.
- Use on scuffed leather.
There are many more health benefits from eating coconut oil. But remember to always choose organic virgin coconut oil.
It’s great for cooking and it takes very little to sauté a stir-fry. But you can add coconut oil to smoothies, use it instead of butter or margarine, replace other oils in recipes, or just eat a spoonful. Yes, it’s that good for you!
Check out Fight Cavities And Gingivitis Naturally With Homemade DIY Oral Health for a coconut oil based toothpaste and more info about oil pulling. And let us know int he comments below what you use coconut oil for. Enjoy!
- Heal Cavities, Gum Disease, Naturally with Organic Oral Care – Toothpaste Recipes Included
- How To Cook Using Coconut Flour
- Total Nutrition – Make your own Homemade Multivitamin and Mineral Formula
- Raw Hummus Recipe
- Natural Head Lice Treatment with Coconut Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar – Wellness Mama
- Twenty Magical Things to Make With Your Jar of Coconut Oil – Natural Living Ideas
- Benefits of Coconut Oil For Dogs – The Dogington Post