Summer will soon be here with sunshine, longer days, and fresh salads. The first arugula leaves will be springing up in the garden, cucumbers will ripen, and raspberry season will soon be here for us to enjoy. Summer is the time of long walks, gardening, the beach and juicy fresh fruits and vegetables.
I like to step away from the traditional cucumber-tomato salad combination when the weather gets to be nice. I enjoy adding freshly picked mint leaves, mango slices, and blueberries to my salads: I like anything that makes the salad as colorful and as full of life as the bright summer days.
Raspberry, arugula, avocado, goat cheese salad combines within itself the crispy light crunch of celery and the sweetness of raspberries with the creaminess of avocado and the tartness of goat cheese. Slightly bitter arugula and simple vinaigrette balance it all out, leaving you wanting more.
Raspberry, Arugula, Avocado, Goat Cheese Salad
(makes 2-3 servings)
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, diced
- 1 sprig celery, diced
- 1/2 small avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 1/3 cup soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup pomegranates
- 4 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Arrange arugula leaves, basil leaves, celery, avocado slices, goat cheese crumbles, and fresh raspberries on a platter in layers.
- In a cup, combine the extra virgin olive oil, the balsamic vinegar, and the sea salt.
- Mix well. This is your salad dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and serve.