A surprising 10% of the world-wide population suffers from migraine headaches. Although we know people have been suffering from migraines since the beginning of recorded history, we still aren’t sure what causes them.
The original belief that migraines are caused by a vascular condition (caused by arteries and veins) was challenged by a later theory of a neuro-inflammatory process (inflammation of nervous tissue), and is now thought to be a neorogenic disorder (caused by or controlled by the nervous system).
Not all migraines are the same and not all migraines respond to the same medications, which might lead one to think that all these causes may be valid.
Generally (but not always) migraine headaches affect one side of the head. Generally (but not always) they are associated with throbbing pain. If left untreated, they last for hours up to days.
There are four recognized stages for a migraine episode, through not all sufferers go through all four stages. These stages are as follows:
- Prodrom — A day or two before the onset of the headache, symptoms include food cravings (often women crave chocolate), depression or irritability, stiff muscles–particularly the neck, uncontrollable yawning, hyperactivity, etc.
- Aura — (experienced by 20% of migraine sufferers) an hour or two before the onset of the headache, sensory disturbances occur. The most common are visual with flashes of light, jagged lights in peripheral vision, blind spots, even loss of vision. Numbness and tingling in arms and legs, including weakness and speech problems. The aura lasts 20-60 minutes.
- Attack — Usual duration is 4-72 hours. Symptoms during an attack often include nausea and vomiting, blurred vision, sensitivity to sound, light, smells, lightheadedness (possible fainting) and pain on one or both sides of the head.
- Postdrome — This phase lasts up to a few days. Fatigue and cognitive disturbances that interfere with work and interactions with others. It is described as “brain fog.”
Natural Treatment for Migraines
There is s strong belief in the natural health community of one disease, one cause. In other words, the body, if cleansed of toxins and given proper nutrition, will heal itself. All disease begins at a cellular level. There is also a consensus that health starts in the gut. Four things are known about migraines: they involve vessels, inflammation (nerves and vessels), low levels of serotonin, and may be caused by heavy metal toxicity.
One of the symptoms common to migraine sufferers is a drop in serotonin or low levels of serotonin before a migraine. The beneficial bacteria in the gut produces 80% of the body’s serotonin, therefore it stands to reason that gut health and high serotonin levels may reduce or eliminate migraines. In order to achieve this, one must cleanse the gut of bad bacteria and Candida and repopulate the gut with beneficial bacteria. The diet must be rich in both prebiotic and probiotic foods. (See link below regarding how to kill Candida.) A healthy, healing diet is organic and consists of 80% fresh, raw, organic produce–more vegetables than fruits. Eat a large variety of real foods. Include omega 3 fats each day. Do not eat known trigger foods. Avoid dairy and gluten (in order to heal your gut and due to the fact that they are probably trigger foods or allergens). Do not eat any artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives. Do not eat MSG, trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, or GMOs. This is fairly easy to do if you stick to real foods, not processed foods, and eat organic.
Inflammation is another causal factor. To reduce or eliminate inflammation, eliminate all foods that cause an allergic response. Include omega 3 oil in your diet on a daily basis (fish oil, flaxseed oil, krill oil, etc. ) Or consider Johanna Budwig’s recipe for inflammation. (See below.)
Vitamins and minerals to supplement
B-vitamins are essential for vascular health and for nerves and nervous tissue. Always take a B-complex vitamin rather than just taking one B vitamin for any length of time. Omega 3 oils help the body assimilate B vitamins. Vitamin C and vitamin D also aid in vascular health long with calcium, magnesium, and selenium.
Heavy metal toxicity
Heavy metal chelation may go a long way towards ending your battle with migraines. For many people, removal of mercury fillings has ended their susceptibility to migraines. (To learn more about mercury, see the link below).
Stress is a factor for migraines, as it is for all disease. It is important to learn how to release stress, as chronic stress does affect our biochemistry. Examine your lifestyle and decide if there are changes you want to make. If you want to make a serious impact on your stress level, learn to breathe (seriously–see link below), exercise, and meditate.
- 2 – parts Valerian Root
- 2 – parts Lobelia Seed Pods
- 2 – parts Passion Flower
- 1 – part Hops Flowers
- 1 – part Black Cohosh
- 1 – part Blue Cohosh
- 1 – part Skullcap
- 1 – part Wild Yam
- 15 – parts Gingko Leaf
- 1 – part Gotu Kola Herb
- 1 – part Calamus Root
- 1 – part Rosemary Flowers
- 1 – part Cayenne Pepper
- Optional:- 1 part Kola Nut
Parts are by volume. Blend all ingredients together and make into a tincture using a 50 – 50 Blend of Alcohol (100 proof vodka) and distilled water. For more, see How to Make a Tincture.
Shillington’s Formulas aren’t going to stop most migraines in their tracks, but they will rebuild and heal the body.
Whether migraines are rare or frequent, the pain can be overwhelming. No one should ever have to suffer through a migraine. To fully address the actions you can take to eliminate migraines from your life, follow all of the steps above. Here’s a recap:
- Eat a healthy, healing diet with lots of raw produce
- Boost serotonin – reduce candida and balance gut flora
- Reduce inflammation – daily dose of omega 3’s
- Supplement – vitamins C,D, and B-complex; calcium, magnesium and selenium
- Heavy metal chelation – and get mercury fillings removed
- Keep ginger on hand (and essential oils if they help)
- Reduce stress – learn to breathe, exercise, meditate
- Rebuild the nervous system and optimize the brain with shillington’s formulas
If you need help with a migraine right now, check out Natural Remedies For Migraines That Work Fast.
- Basic B Complex
- Shillington’s Brain Tonic
- Shillington’s Nerve Sedative Formula
- Cayenne Pepper Liquid Extract
- Shillington’s Pain & Headache Formula
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Formula SF722 – THorne Research
- FloraMend – Thorne Research
- Shillington’s Body Balance
- Krill Oil
- Natural Remedies For Migraines That Work Fast
- Top 5 foods that detox heavy metals and toxins
- How to Kill Candida and Balance Your Inner Ecosystem
- Hot and Cold Hydrotherapy
- 80% Raw Food Diet
- Budwig Cancer Cure
- How to Detoxify from Vaccinations
- How to Breathe
- NINDS Migraine Information Page – National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- Ginger for the Treatment of Migraine Headaches – Migraine.com
- 10 Key Questions About Migraines – Everyday Health
- The Postdrom: Migraine’s Silent Sister – The Guardian