There are so many great things you can say about this dish! Pulses are packed full of protein and are rich in folates. Spinach is probably one of the healthiest foods around; it contains practically every vitamin and mineral.
Quick and easy to make, this is a wonderful evening meal for those in a rush, or an ideal lunch to eat out in the garden.
The ‘Tortilla’ title sometimes confuses people. In Spain a tortilla is not a floury wrap but a thick omelette that is cut up into slices and served as tapas.
Of course, all ingredients should be organic whenever possible!
- 1 Small Onion Finely Chopped
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic Finely Chopped
- 1 Small Red Chili Finely Chopped
- 4 oz Chickpeas (Ready Cooked or Tinned)
- 4 oz Baby Spinach Leaves Washed
- 6 Large Eggs
- Handful Chopped Parsley
- Pinch Ground Cumin
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper
- In a non-stick fry pan or heavy skillet, sauté the onion, garlic, and chili in a littleolive oil for a couple of minutes until soft.
- Add the spinach leaves to the onion mixture along with the chickpeas and sauté for a couple more minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Sprinkle in the seasonings and the parsley.
- Whisk up the eggs in a bowl, then pour over the chickpea mixture in the fry pan and roll around to get an even thickness. Cook over a low heat on the stove then finish off under a grill, or bake the whole skillet in a moderate oven until set.
- Slide out onto a plate, cut into wedges, and serve with a nice tossed salad and red slaw for a health-packed 10-minute meal!