Attention ladies! Do you really know what you’re doing to your skin with each cosmetic product you use? I didn’t know. From the timeI wokeup in the morning until I washed my face at the end of the day, I fought with my skin. After way too many years of this self-inflicted abuse, I came to my senses, put my foot down and decided to make some big changes. That’s when I turned to my daughter, the aesthetician, for advice on how to replace my cosmetic catastrophes with all-natural products. We ended up tossing out all fo my harmful products like my makeup remover, acne cleanser, makeup foundation, and my weekly beauty mask product. With that mess of product gone, we locked in on some easy-to use, all-natural ways to replace each of those products.
So, if you say “oui, oui” to going “au-naturel”, read on and find out what 4 products I now use. And guess what? Cosmetic companies don’t want you to know this!
Makeup Remover: Is Coconut Oil The “Healthiest Oil On Earth?”
First and foremost, what is one thing that we do every day that irritates our eyes? Of course, it’s removing our darn makeup. I have tried so many different makeup removers that I can certainly attribute the wrinkles around my eyes to some of them. Raise your hand if you feel the same way, too! After all, the vigorous action of removing waterproof mascara with an oily pad can sometimes be as harsh as using an emery board to buff your nails.
But then, my daughter told me about coconut oil. Say what? That’s right. She said that the unique fatty acids in it make it an ideal makeup remover because they help to break down and absorb the stubborn makeup on your skin. Not only that, but it’s a natural moisturizer which nourishes your skin. Not to mention the fact that it has strengthened my eyelashes, giving me a super sexy wink. 😉
Let me tell you how you can replace your expensive makeup removers with coconut oil, just like I did. Follow these 3 easy steps and you’ll be wondering why you didn’t hear about this sooner:
- Add some room temperature coconut oil to a soft cotton pad (It could be a bit hard. It will liquefy due to the heat of your skin.)
- Close your eyes and press the pad against your eyes for 15 seconds. (This allows the oil to break down and absorb all those nasty little bits of mascara.)
- Then, take the pad and gently wipe that makeup from your face in a consistent downward motion.
And just like that, the makeup will be removed, and your face is moisturized. Truly ladies, you’ll find that this is a super product that you need to stock up on.
Acne Treatment: Hey Acne! Meet My BFF, Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
I’ve always had a serious issue with acne. It was at its worst when I was a teenager, but I still have breakouts here and there. From Clean & Clear to Proactiv, I’ve tried it all. Honestly, nothing really worked. And then a friend told me about this amazing use of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). She told me that it regulates the pH of your skin, which detoxifies the skin and helps get rid of and prevent acne. Now don’t get me wrong, even though it can have a bit of a pungent aroma, it’s well worth the benefits.
And it is super easy to use. Just a heads up, I use Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother, as this is the product in its purest form. All you need to do is use the product at night after you remove your makeup and before you go to bed. So, here’s what you do:
- Put some ACV on a cotton pad and gently apply it your face in a circular motion until your entire face is covered.
- Then, while you get your beauty sleep it will absorb into your pores and work its magic all night long. Leaving you with clearer, healthier looking skin in the morning.
That’s all it takes. After doing this every night for about 2 months, I got rid of all of my acne and haven’t had an outbreak since. It’s been almost a year now! Woohoo! By the way, ACV has also been known to eliminate dark spots. Winning!
Makeup Foundation: Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue…And Rosehip Oil Is Perfect For You
After 30+ years of using way, way, way too much foundation, I had enough. So I decided to find a natural alternative. And I found out about rosehip oil. Again, it’s another product that has more than one benefit. Oh yes! It’s been known to reduce wrinkles and restore your skin’s natural complexion.
But ladies, let me tell you that you need to use this as your foundation. Simply coat your face with rosehip oil before putting on your makeup and it makes a great base to put on an even coat of makeup. And what I love about it, too, is that it’s super gentle on the skin. The product that I buy comes in a small bottle with a teardrop applicator. Here’s how you get that “rosy” foundation going:
- With the applicator (if yours has one), put 1-2 drops of rosehip oil on your fingers.
- Gently apply the oil in a consistent motion, starting from your nose out towards your cheeks.
- Repeat this process, until all the “makeup zones” on your face are covered.
- After applying, give yourself 5-10 minutes for the oil to absorb. This allows your makeup application to be easier and it will look like a professional aesthetician did it for you.
Beauty Mask: Honey! Where’s My Mask?
How many different beauty masks have you tried in your life? Well, have you ever tried a honey mask? OMG, I’m warning you that after you try this, you will be addicted. The powerful nutrients in honey make for rich and smooth skin, and once the coat is done you’re not going to want to stop petting your soft, supple skin.
Now, this one takes a little more effort than the other products.
- Warm up the honey first to make it easier to apply and to help it absorb into your skin. (Trick: Run the jar of honey under warm water for a few minutes.)
- Take 2 fingerfuls of honey and begin applying it to your face in a circular motion. Repeat this process until your face is fully coated. (Don’t worry, you can’t use too much. Well, maybe you can.)
- Once applied, let it cool and dry on your face.
- Have your lounge chair ready, and get to relaxing for about 15 minutes while the honey works its wonders.
- Finish off by rinsing your face with warm water. (Attention: Do not use any soap or cleansers to wash the honey from your face or it will cancel out all of that TLC.)
Trust me, honey, you will instantly see the difference when you touch your face after the mask therapy is over. Heck, you might even go for round 2 in the same day. (I did.) Realistically, if you can adopt this as a weekly ritual, you’ll be on the path to adding 10 years of youth to your beautiful skin.
Now you understand why cosmetic companies don’t want you knowing about these ingredients. After all, they’ll save you money, get you Ah-May-Zing results, and make you feel like a natural beauty. 😉 So, which one are you going to try first?
- 35 Things You Can Do With Coconut Oil
- Beat Eczema Naturally
- Get Naturally Gorgeous Skin with These 4 Home Remedies
- Healthy Skin