Forget buying toothpaste, reading all of those ingredients, wondering if you can recycle the toothpaste tube or not. Make your own toothpaste, mouthwash, and more. There’s nothing you can get in the store that will do as well as these recipes.
But remember, there’s nothing you can do for your gums and teeth that will heal them and keep them healthy without eating a healthy diet. Your mouth emulates the health of your gut. Disease starts in the gut, and that’s true for everyone except for the few people who smoke but eat very well. Smoking (tobacco, marijuana, anything) is extremely bad for the teeth and the gums. That’s not to say that if you choose to smoke you should not use these homemade recipes, it’s just that your teeth and gums will deteriorate if you do not take care of the rest of the body. These formulas can reduce the deterioration rate, or, if the body is taken care of, they will accelerate the healing, reverse cavities, remove inflammation, eliminate infection, and whiten.
One other exception, and an unfortunately common one, is someone who takes very good care of their body, but is stuck with mercury fillings. These fillings will also deteriorate teeth and gum health, but there are steps you can take that will significantly reduce health consequences.
Homemade Remineralizing and Whitening Toothpaste Recipe
Make your own remineralizing toothpaste with calcium, magnesium, stevia, coconut oil and essential oils to help your teeth stay strong and your gums stay healthy.
- 5 parts calcium/magnesium powder (the best calcium for this can be obtained with this homemade calcium recipe)
- 2 parts baking soda
- 1 part unrefined sea salt, finely ground
- 3-5 parts coconut oil to get desired texture
- Optional ingredients: Essential oils for flavor and/or kill germs (mint, cinnamon, tea tree, peppermint, orange), and stevia (takes very little)
- Mix calcium, salt, and baking soda in a bowl
- Add coconut oil, one part at a time until you reach the desired consistency
- Add any optional ingredients
- Store in small glass container.
Hydrogen peroxide is added to many home toothpastes, especially those formulated for whitening. But hydrogen peroxide is one of those ingredients you are not supposed to swallow and it can irritate the gums. It is not a good idea for kids or for anyone with sensitive, damaged, or diseased gums.
Simple Toothpaste Recipe
If you don’t have access to some of the ingredients listed above, or you just want a simpler formula, you can make homemade toothpaste, that’s not really a paste, with the following:
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt, finely ground
Just mix the ingredients.
Homemade Earthpaste Recipe
If you like the earthy shampoos and soaps, then this toothpaste formula is right up your alley:
- 4 Tbsp bentonite clay
- Distilled water
- 5 drops tea tree oil
- 5 drops liquid stevia
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 Tsp unrefined sea salt
- Combine 2 tablespoons of water with the bentonite clay in a glass bowl and mix well using a non-metal spoon (clay shouldn’t come in contact with metal)
- Add tea tree oil, stevia, and peppermint essential oils
- Add salt, mix well
- Add water to taste and texture.
- Store toothpaste in a glass with a lid (the toothpaste will dry out over time if left uncovered)
Oil Pulling is a traditional Ayurvedic method of oral care that involves swishing oil around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes. Some say that this practice can detoxify the whole body and heal all kinds of diseases, but these statements aren’t possible if the diet is not addressed. It does promote good oral health by reducing the amount of harmful bacteria and dental plaque while cleaning the areas of the mouth that brushing and flossing cannot get to. Oral health does increase the strength of the immune system, so oil pulling can lead to improved overall health.
Traditionally, sesame oil was used, but these days coconut oil is more often recommended, and it’s my preference as well. To increase the potency of this protocol, use essential oils, such as peppermint, cinnamon, or clove. Tea tree oil and oil of oregano are two good options, but they can get really intense. Start off with just a small amount.
Here are some suggestions with the essential oils for oil pulling. Add these to a tablespoon of coconut oil.
- For bad breath: 2 drops of cinnamon, spearmint, or peppermint essential oil
- Toothache: 2 drops of clove or tea tree essential oil, or one of each
- Canker sores: 2 drops of holy basil essential oil.
- Gum disease: 2 drops of cinnamon, clove, or tea tree essential oil.
- Receding gums: Add 2 drops of Myrrh essential oil.
- Cavities: 2 drops of clove or tea tree essential oil, or one of each
- Any infection in the mouth: 2 drops of clove or tea tree essential oil, or one of each
How to Oil Pull
Swish the oil around in your mouth (like you would with mouthwash) and pull through the teeth, for 15 to 20 minutes. Don’t swish hard, or your cheeks will get sore very quickly.
The longer you do it, the more benefit you’ll get. 15 to 20 minutes is ideal, and I like to do it while I write articles, but even just doing it for a few minutes is very beneficial. You may need to take your time and build up your mouth strength. (I did.)
Spit it out! Do not swallow it. That oil gets nasty, and it’s better to dispose of it than swallow it. Follow with tooth brushing, or at least thoroughly rinsing the mouth. And don’t spit it out in the sink. The oil could stop it up.
There are lots of interesting mouthwash recipes, but between the homemade toothpaste and the oil pulling, I hardly ever want to use it. When I do, I just put some water in my mouth and drop in some essential oils like peppermint, mint, or clove, and follow with swishing and gargling. But here is one recipe I have made that I like very much.
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1 teaspoon calcium magnesium powder (homemade calcium recipe)
- 4 drops spearmint essential oil*
- 2 drops cinnamon essential oil*
- 2 drops peppermint essential oil*
- 2 drops clove essential oil*
Mix ingredients in a glass bottle and shake.
Instant Breath Freshening
If I need to freshen my breath in hurry, I gargle with apple cider vinegar, or I chew on raw garlic, parsley, and/or cilantro (whichever I can find first). As long as you rinse well with water afterwards, you’ll have fresh breath.
Shillington’s Tooth and Gum Formula (click here to buy)
There is a third step in dental care for anyone who is struggling with gingivitis or wants to use a preventative treatment. Dr. Shillington’s Tooth and Gum Formula can be used as a mouthwash (one dropperful to a cup of water), on your toothbrush (8-12 drops on your toothbrush after brushing your teeth), or with a water pick (2-4 dropperfuls, but rinse out your water pick after use so the tee tree oil does not shorten the life of its rubber seals). After each of these methods, do not rinse; allow the ingredients to continue working.
Dr. Shillington writes, “The Echinacea in the formula deadens pain, kills germs, kicks the immune system into action, and starts working against bacteria that is deep down in the gum pockets. Bayberry and Oak Bark will tighten up the gum tissue right before your eyes. Peppermint is a very strong disinfectant, reduces inflammation, and also increases blood circulation to carry off toxins, bring in nutrition, and generally cleanse the mouth. Clove oil is a great pain reducer for toothache.”
You can make your own Tooth and Gum Formula with Dr. Shillington’s recipe or purchase the Tooth and Gum Formula through Green Lifestyle Market.
Dr. Shillington’s Tooth and Gum Formula Recipe
(Use Organic ingredients where ever possible).
- 10 oz Echinacea tincture
- 1/4 cup of tea tree oil
- 4 oz. bayberry tincture
- 2 oz. oak gall (or 3X oak bark) tincture
- 2 TBS. Cayenne tincture
- 2 1/2 dropperfuls of peppermint oil
- 2 1/2 dropperfuls of clove oil
A “part” is a measurement by volume, not weight. Blend all ingredients together and make into a tincture using a 50/50 blend of alcohol and distilled water. For more, see How to Make a Tincture.
A dropperful is considered to be about 1/2 way up the dropper from a two ounce bottle.
Be sure to shake well before each use.
Gum disease is not only avoidable, it is, contrary to conventional opinion, completely reversible. For more on oral health, be sure to check out Mercury Fillings, Root Canals, Cavitations – What You Need to Know. As far as that healthy diet we were mentioning, check out 80% Raw, which also has an amazing salad recipe.
- Shillington’s Tooth and Gum Formula
- Earthpaste Spearmint Toothpaste
- Peppermint Oil
- Cayenne Tincture
- Shilllington’s Herbal Snuff
- Shillington’s Echinacea Plus
- Periodontal Disease, Gum Disease – What you need to know
- 80% Raw Food Diet
- Mercury Fillings, Root Canals, Cavitations – What You Need to Know
- How to Kill Candida and Balance Your Inner Ecosystem
- Still Have Candida? How Mercury Fillings Cause Candida Overgrowth